Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

The YA Sorting Hat (5)



Last time on the YA Sorting Hat: Book Boyfriends Part II


One day, I asked myself the not at all ridiculous question, "Which houses would I sort my favorite literary characters into?" So got Ye Olde Sorty out of the Headmaster's office and put him on the job of sorting some of my favorite non-Harry Potter characters into Hogwarts Houses.



Willowdean Dickson from Dumplin' by Julie Murphy
Confident-even-when-she's-not Willowdean is the definition of Gryffindor brave. And she wears a red dress to boot.

Safiya fon Hasstrel from Truthwitch by Susan Dennard
My beloved Safi is reckless, brave, and tends to throw herself into action before thinking it through, which is definitely a Gryffindor tendency. The best of intentions, sometimes rather colossally unfortunate follow-through. But when Gryffindors like Safi find their swords to die on...WATCH OUT.

Bellamy Blake from The 100
Okay, I'm fully cheating here, because I'm doing Bellamy from the show and not Bellamy from the book, and you could fully make a case for Bellamy to go in any house, but I'm going to sort him into Gryffindor despite his Slytherin behaviors and his Hufflepuff loyalties (and his secret Ravenclaw nerdery), because the root of all his emotions is a rather Gryffinpuff determination to save and protect his people, even if that doesn't always pan out.

Octavia Blake from The 100
Again, totally cheating here, but HOT DAMN if there is nobody on (apocalyptic) earth braver than Octavia, floor-person turned warrior princess.


Isla Martin from Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
Isla is SO Ravenclaw! She's studious and takes comfort in intelligence, creativity, and learning of all sorts.

Iseult det Midenzi from Truthwitch by Susan Dennard
The rational calm to Safi's reckless storm, Iseult is a thinker. Sometimes an OVER thinker, but she's definitely logical enough to fit quite comfortably (or as comfortably as Iz ever is) in Ravenclaw.

Kady Grant from Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Kay definitely has shades of Gryffindor to her, but i don't think she (or the Hat) know about them quite yet at the beginning of Illuminae, so it's her hacking smarts and wise ass sense of humor that land her squarely in Ravenclaw.


Lara Jean from To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
I struggled with this Sorting, and if you can think of a better reason to put Lara Jean elsewhere, please do tell me in the comments, but it seemed to me like the occasionally naive, occasionally fanciful, industrious cookie maker seemed to fit in Hufflepuff better than anywhere else.

Ezra Mason from Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Another tricky one. Ezra is a very possible Gryffindor, and I'll bet the Hat debated about it, but a dearth of Hufflepuffs in this post Ezra's innate good nature and dedication to his space station and ex-girlfriend shunted him into the truest of Houses.

Princess Winter from Winter by Marissa Meyer
Winter is just so freaking precious and loyal that she just had to be a cinnamon roll Hufflepuff


Kaz Brekker from Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
Oh, my poor, complicated Dirtyhands. I feel like the Hat's song above was made for you. You'll make your real friends...cunning folk...any means to achieve their ends...

Manon Blackbeak from Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas
I don't think Manon would LET me sort her anywhere else.

Clarke Griffin from The 100
Again, I'm using show Clarke here rather than book Clarke, and just like with show Bellamy, you could argue for all the other houses, but I'm going to put my murder princess in the most misunderstood of houses for her ability to make desperately impossible, heartrending choices for the greater good (not to get all Grindelwald on you...) and for her keen leader-ly intellect.

7 comments:

  1. I adoooore when you do the sorting posts Gillian!!

    For the most part I agree with all your sortings, Manon is a Slytherin if there ever was one of course (although I suspect she might have some Gryffindor tendencies to her that we'll discover in the upcoming books), but I disagree on one. I think Ezra is more Gryffindor because he's a bit more act first think later kinda guy too...
    As for Lara Jane... I think you nailed it sorting her in Hufflepuff, she's loyal and totally cinnamon roll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes agree with all of these. You are an excellent sorting hat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At long last, you have chosen at least one book I have read! Yay! ;)
    I totally agree with Clarke- she's also very 'big picture', which I think Slytherins tend to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the best idea for a post ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a sorting hat gift! Ezra definitely has Gryffinpuff qualities, but I agree that the sorting hat would probably put him in Hufflepuff in the end. He is a loyal and good friend not only to Kady, but also the soldiers and otherʻs on his ship...even though he hasnʻt known them very long.

    Winter is a Hufflepuff through and through. Iʻm pretty proud to be a ʻPuff, especially with those guys in the same house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Can't wait to see more sorting posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! Can't wait to see more sorting posts!

    ReplyDelete

Note: comments on posts older than 90 days are automatically moderated, so they won't show up here immediately. Thanks for commenting! :)